I startedthe build in early last year with the total build time being under 12 monthsfrom rolling MX5 to road certified turbo Exocet
I had ownedprevious street cars (Rx7 and STi Subarus) but wanted something different for anew build. Kit cars had always been on my radar, and on a recent trip to the UKI visited the Caterham factory and test drove other Lotus 7 replicas but Iwasn’t sold.. I then stumbled across a local NZ owner of an Exocet and arrangeda test drive.
The car wasa lot more spacious in the cabin and I found the look to be more my style thanthe Lotus 7, I was blown away by the handling and power from the much cheaperKitset.
I went ahead and ordered a kit from a local NZ manufacturer without delay.
I purchasedan 89 NA Mx5 as my donor and had planned on completing the kit without too manymodifications, but as the build progressed my mindset changed… I decided toturbo the stock engine and complete this before getting the car certified forroad use. The stock engines take the boost quite well and engines are readilyavailable, so this option was appealing over the cost of adding a forged engineto the list at the time.
While wewere ramping up the power from the engine, the focus remained on handling so westripped all the donor parts down and replaced all the parts we could frombushings to ball joints we could get our hands on. This really paid offas the car felt like new when driving it for the first time.
Fromdelivery of the frame to the completion of the build in under 7 months, itstill felt like the main progress all pulled together in the last 4 weeks… Thebody panels really sealed the look of the car with the wrap being completedjust a day or two before driving onto the trailer.
We breezedthrough the road cert and have been enjoy the New Zealand summer for the pasttwo months, but with all fresh builds there were some initial teething issues.That being said, the car has covered 2000kms + and it’s one of the best carsand experiences I’ve ever owned/had.
- Standard NA6 1.6l NA engine
- Sinco Custom exhaust manifold with 32mm external wastegate
- Subaru TD04
- Alloy Radiator
- 3″ Stainless Downpipe to 2.5” Custom exhaust
- Turbosmart 34mm plumb back BOV
- Toyota 1NZ COPs
- Megasquirt MS2 PNP with Megaspartan 02 controller
- 2l Catch can
- Bosch Ev14 Injectors
- K&N Filter with 3” intake to turbo
- Mazda Competition engine mounts
- NA 5 Speed Transmission
- Ultralight Flywheel
- Exedy 5 puk Clutch
- NB Torsen Diff
- Tein Flex Z Suspension with custom spring rates
- 949 full set of bushings
- Mazda replacement wheel bearings, tie road ends and ball joints
- NB Sport brakes with Brembo Rotors and Hawk HP+ Pads
- Goodridge Custom length braided Lines
- Braided Clutch line
- Power steering delete
- 15×8 Wheels
- 225/50 R15 Toyo T1Rs
- Full custom Fibreglass body with widen guards
- 1700mm Carbon Fibre Wing (to be mounted)
- Sparco Sprint seats with Sparco 4 point harness
- Full Bolt in Roll Cage (removable)
- OMP 350mm Flat Steering Wheel
- Battery relocated to behind drivers seat