I started the build in early last year with the total build time being under 12 months from rolling MX5 to road certified turbo Exocet
I had owned previous street cars (Rx7 and STi Subarus) but wanted something different for a new build. Kit cars had always been on my radar, and on a recent trip to the UK I visited the Caterham factory and test drove other Lotus 7 replicas but I wasn’t sold.. I then stumbled across a local NZ owner of an Exocet and arranged a test drive.
The car was a lot more spacious in the cabin and I found the look to be more my style than the Lotus 7, I was blown away by the handling and power from the much cheaper Kitset.
I went ahead and ordered a kit from a local NZ manufacturer without delay.
I purchased an 89 NA Mx5 as my donor and had planned on completing the kit without too many modifications, but as the build progressed my mindset changed… I decided to turbo the stock engine and complete this before getting the car certified for road use. The stock engines take the boost quite well and engines are readily available, so this option was appealing over the cost of adding a forged engine to the list at the time.
While we were ramping up the power from the engine, the focus remained on handling so we stripped all the donor parts down and replaced all the parts we could from bushings to ball joints we could get our hands on. This really paid off as the car felt like new when driving it for the first time.
From delivery of the frame to the completion of the build in under 7 months, it still felt like the main progress all pulled together in the last 4 weeks… The body panels really sealed the look of the car with the wrap being completed just a day or two before driving onto the trailer.
We breezed through the road cert and have been enjoy the New Zealand summer for the past two months, but with all fresh builds there were some initial teething issues. That being said, the car has covered 2000kms + and it’s one of the best cars and experiences I’ve ever owned/had.
- Standard NA6 1.6l NA engine
- Sinco Custom exhaust manifold with 32mm external wastegate
- Subaru TD04
- Alloy Radiator
- 3″ Stainless Downpipe to 2.5” Custom exhaust
- Turbosmart 34mm plumb back BOV
- Toyota 1NZ COPs
- Megasquirt MS2 PNP with Megaspartan 02 controller
- 2l Catch can
- Bosch Ev14 Injectors
- K&N Filter with 3” intake to turbo
- Mazda Competition engine mounts
- NA 5 Speed Transmission
- Ultralight Flywheel
- Exedy 5 puk Clutch
- NB Torsen Diff
- Tein Flex Z Suspension with custom spring rates
- 949 full set of bushings
- Mazda replacement wheel bearings, tie road ends and ball joints
- NB Sport brakes with Brembo Rotors and Hawk HP+ Pads
- Goodridge Custom length braided Lines
- Braided Clutch line
- Power steering delete
- 15×8 Wheels
- 225/50 R15 Toyo T1Rs
- Full custom Fibreglass body with widen guards
- 1700mm Carbon Fibre Wing (to be mounted)
- Sparco Sprint seats with Sparco 4 point harness
- Full Bolt in Roll Cage (removable)
- OMP 350mm Flat Steering Wheel
- Battery relocated to behind drivers seat